We all know how filthy bed bugs are. They are also very hard to get rid of and they feed on blood since it is their main source of nutrition to mature into adults or produce eggs. The key method to not ever getting bed bugs is to identify and prevent them.
Identifying Bed Bugs
Prevention is better than cure. The main ways to identify is there any bed bugs is to inspect the bed and mattress for bed bug feces that looks like black pepper flakes. If there is signs, then it is an evidence of bed bug presence. Bed bugs looks flat with slight elliptical shape, they are usually in reddish-brown color, smaller than an apple seed & about the width of a credit card.
Preparation When Traveling
- Pack a flashlight to inspect the bed and mattress of hotels to spot bed bugs and their feces easier.
- Use hard shell luggage bags because they are easier to clean and don’t have much seams for bed bugs to hide.
- Bring a plastic bag if you want extra precaution. Use it to put your luggage in during the trip.
- Read hotel & car rental reviews to understand more about the place you plan to stay. Some previous customer might posted a negative review that mentioned bed bugs. Avoid places and car rental companies with those bad reviews.
Check All Areas of Your Room and Rental Cars
No negative reviews does not means there is no bed bugs, manually check your room and rented car as an extra precaution. There are some important areas that you should check:
- Seams of chairs, couches, between cushions and in the folds of the curtains.
- Drawer joints
- Loose wallpaper and wall hangings
- In electrical receptacles and appliances
- Junction of the wall and the ceiling
- Trunk of the car
- Car cushions
Never assume you are free of bed bugs. It is best to wash all of your clothing in hot water regardless whether you wear it or not because bed bugs might slipped in during any point of your trip.
You should also do a detailed examination of your luggage outside the house with a flashlight to prevent bed bugs from going into your house. Remember to check the seams, edges and zipper pockets of your luggage.
Prevention is better than cure. Ridpest have the solution to defend you and your beloved family members from bed bugs.