Growing up in the city, we are so used to the ordinary chemical-based repellents like the aerosol sprays, mosquito’s coil and electronic vape burner as it is the easiest alternative for mosquitoes repellent. It’s our natural reflex to grab on the bottle of aerosol and press away to the air hoping we get rid the mosquitoes that has been bothering us for a while.
But it doesn’t always end up them being dead.
All we did was, (1) spray out the chemical-based mosquitoes repellent in the air, (2) repel the mosquitoes for a short period of time (not dead), and (3) when the chemical loses its strength we started to re-spray to keep the mosquitoes away ignoring the fact that the chemicals could disrupt our health when being used too frequently. Often, we never really take the matters seriously due to our busy schedule, plus, the mosquitoes repellent had been approved by the KKM (Ministry of Health). So what could possibly go wrong?
Is chemical-based insect repellent harmful?
Imagine spraying it around the house and we have no idea how it’s going to affect our health. Most bug sprays contains DEET aka diethyltoluamide, is an extremely efficient chemical that repels mosquitoes, ticks, fleas and other flying pests. A study documented that DEET poses risk to kidney and liver damage as well as possessing risk for birth defects and developmental progress. It also potentially causes neurotoxicity, irritation and sensitivity.
However, another studies show that DEET does not pose significant health risks to consumers but it still can interfere with the activity of enzymes that are vital for our nervous system to function properly. Nevertheless, when it comes to chemical products, we can never be too sure if it is 100% safe.
How does this chemical affect our health?
- Affect your family through inhalation and skin absorption.
- Overexposure to aerosol sprays can cause a person to feel drowsy for several hours.
- In extreme cases, the bug spray can cause nausea, vomiting and confusion.
- Repeated use can cause damage to certain brain area known as the hippocampus, which controls memory. This may lead to difficulty learning new things or carrying on a simple conversation.
- Inhaling a high amount of aerosol can also damage myelin, a brain tissue that facilitates the passing of messages through nerves.
- All in all, not all aerosol products are the same. Read the label on the can before use; follow the precaution measure and its specific safety direction.On top of that, only use aerosol sprays in well-ventilated areas. Yes, it’s a lot to cover for just spraying a bug and do REMEMBER that specific brand name does not guarantee better protection; it only provides longer protection time.
How does it affect our environment?
Whenever chemical spray is being used, it indirectly effects our environment as well. This semi-direct effect contributes to smoky haze as well. If you’re thinking a small amount of aerosol you spray in your room will not give much affect, think about a thousand of other user who is spraying at the same time. That’s a ton load of aerosol right there!
Nevertheless, since there are no specific instruments to measure aerosol within clouds, we’ll never know for sure how much of chemical are we breathing right now.
Why We Should Go For Natural Repellents
Doesn’t it just made you feel relieved at the thought of ‘natural’ methods? Not only it is naturally harmless, it also provides these advantages:
- Works better and comes with additional perk: smell better too.
- Natural repellent means chemical free! Completely safe for a home with children and on top of that, free from mosquitoes!
- 0% toxic: means we can maintain our health and most importantly, prevent DENGUE!
- Save us bucks & consider ourselves responsible in protecting Earth as well.
Studies by Pahang Health Department
Newsflash: The Pahang Health Department had identified plants that can effectively repel mosquitoes. Studies on both of these Malaysian well-known plants had started since 2010 and this can be our next weapons against dengue. Since the mosquito’s seasons are 12 months a year in this country, we definitely need these two:
- Geranium or Citronella plant with scientific name of Pelargonium Radula aka Jeremin or “pokok halau nyamuk” or “pokok jari lima
It is long known as mosquito’s repellent since the old days. The plant releases tiny dusts that mosquito hates which made it clear on how it got its name. Despite its lack of capability to live under direct sunlight, it is definitely one of the plants that are easy to maintain. Best to place it indoor, this way no mosquitoes shall enter!
No doubt our ancestor definitely knows best from experiences far before science interferes and confirms it.
- Lantana camara or “bunga tahi ayam”
Originally from south America, is a floral plant that produces bright and striking flower. It is also called “tahi ayam” by the local, which literally means chicken’s poop due to its stinky smell. Probably the main reason why it repels mosquitoes! But the flower is definitely ain’t poop, its beauty is one of the main reasons it is usually grow for the gardens or yards decoration. It is easily maintain as well but perhaps not indoor unless you don’t mind its odour, though it’s absolutely depends on your sensitivity. The unpleasant smell also occurs if you crush its leaves and stems.
Other non-toxic mosquito’s repellent plants!
If you can’t get your hands on neither Geranium or Lantana Camara, there are other natural repellents plants that can be found in Malaysia. Some of the easy maintenance plants are:
- Garlic plant
Before we go…
“When you have your health, you have everything. When you do not have your health, nothing else matters at all.”— Augusten Burroughs.
Let’s end this with a friendly reminder that your health is extremely important; in case you hadn’t heard that. Know that it is the only thing that you need in order to function the way you were supposed to be—physically, mentally or spiritually. Using aerosol spray or any other alternative methods that is chemical-based are undoubted an easy way to get over pests problems but that only means that you are taking your health for granted.
You can avoid that by choosing a natural-based mosquito repellent instead to keep you and your household safe from not only mosquitoes but from possibly harmful chemicals. Things may be convenient and efficient now using aerosol sprays, but would it be worth it in the long run? Think about it.
So if you’re looking for a safe mosquito repellent, the best choice that we would like to recommend to you is RIDMOZZIE, a new way to eliminate mosquitoes.
Do not worry if your house does not have any mosquito’s repellent plant as above because RIDMOZZIE is a special environment-friendly formulation that turns plants to mosquitoes killing machine.
RIDMOZZIE uses plant based organic formulation and has long-lasting protections (up to 28 days).
For more info, visit http://caring.ridpest.com/mosquito-control-in-malaysia